Keeping your bird seed fresh is a concern when the weather is wet.
Updated: October 11, 2010
Two elements that can destroy your bird seed are rain and snow. These two elements can make it soggy and wet, which can harbor bacteria and mold. To help prevent your bird seed from becoming ruined, a rain guard on your bird feeder can be very beneficial for protecting the bird seed and keeping it fresh.
Here are a few feeders that are great for a variety of feeders. Brushed Copper Weather Shield by Aubudon Woodlink.
This beautiful rain baffle is made of copper that weathers nicely with age. It may be easily attached to the top of your bird feeder for protection from rain and snow. In addition, it is 18 inches in diameter and that is great for offering birds some shelter from the elements while they eat. It also looks great with a variety of copper bird feeders for a coordinated look.
Another fun, decorative rain guard that looks great with a variety of bird feeders is the Decorative Bird Feeder Dome 14 in. . This attractive rain guard is made of a durable polycarbonate that is virtually unbreakable and the dome is 14 inches in diameter to offer birds plenty of shelter when eating from your tube feeder. The decorative design on the cleardome will instantly add character to any tube bird feeder and it is very easy to install on top of the feeder.
The Seattle Rain Guard for Bird Feeders is a simple and easy-to-install rain guard that looks great any tube bird feeder. It is designed to easily slip on a variety of Droll Yankee bird feeders or other tube bird feeders that are two and a half inches in diameter. The UV stabilized polycarbonate dome is resistant to breaking and won’t become discolored from exposure from the sun. Not only is it great protection from your bird seed, but also protects the birds from rain and snow.
Keeping the squirrels away from your bird feeder this summer can be a challenge. However, a squirrel-proof bird feeder will help prevent the squirrels from getting onto the bird feeder and taking out the bird seed without a lot of hassle. In addition to keeping the squirrels away from eating bird seed from the bird feeder, squirrel-proof bird feeders help to attract more birds to your yard by helping to ensure that the birds get to eat the bird seed. Here are a few very effective squirrel-proof bird feeders that will keep the squirrels and won’t break the bank:
- The Squirrel Proof Caged Port Tube Bird Feederby Audubon Woodlink has a cage around every feeding ports to help prevent the squirrels from getting to the bird seed. It’s unique design makes it effective at preventing the squirrels from eating the bird seed and allows the birds eat without the fear of squirrels bothering them.
- Another economical, yet effective squirrel-proof bird feeder is the Bird Shelter Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder by Opus, Inc. This squirrel-proof bird feeder has a sleek shape and is designed to keep the squirrels away with its unique weight activated system. It is ideal for feeding a variety of smaller sized birds including finches and other types of songbirds.
- The Squirrel Dilemma Easy Feeder BirdFeeder by Perky Pet is sure to keep the squirrels out of your bird feeder and is easy on the wallet. This squirrel-proof bird feeder consists of a tube covered by wire that makes it easy for the birds to reach the bird seed, but not the squirrels. It has 6 feeding ports and can hold up to four pounds of bird seed, so it allows to feed multiple birds at one time and doesn’t require a lot of refilling.
If you love watching the birds in your yard, but don’t want to spend the time refilling your bird feeders on a regular basis, a pre-filled bird feeder will take the hassle out of refilling your bird feeder and is very convenient to use. Pre-filled bird feeders are available in a variety of shapes, sizes, and styles and will attract various types of wild birds to your yard. Here are a few of my favorite pre-filled bird feeders to choose from that make bird feeding a breeze:
- Attracting finches and other types of songbirds is easy with the Ready to Use Nyjer Sack by C and S Products. This handy sack is filled with high quality Nyjer bird seed that is ideal for attracting and feeding finches. Just open up the package and hang on a tree limb or post in your yard. Finches love to cling and feed from the sack, so this pre-filled bird feeder is perfect for novices or experienced bird watchers.
- The Peanut Butter Hanging Feederis a pre-filled bird feeder that contains suet and is ideal for attracting and feeding a variety of birds in your yard. Peanut butter is a great source of protein and fat for the wild birds and this pre-filled feeder is very convenient and easy to use. The container is designed to be easily hung on a branch or post for the birds to enjoy.
- To make feeding hummingbirds easier and more convenient, try a pre-filled hummingbird feeder to attract the hummingbirds to your yard. The four pack of Prefilled Hummingbird Feedersby Audubon Woodlink makes feeding hummingbirds very simple and quick. Each bottle is filled with nectar and made of recycled materials. After the bottle is empty is may be thrown out to avoid having the hassle of cleaning out the feeder.
Now is a great time to put out your hummingbird feeder or add to your hummingbird feeder collection with a charming, beautiful, and unique hummingbird feeder. The more hummingbird feeders that you have on display in your yard, the more hummingbirds that will come to visit your yard this summer. Hummingbirds are attracted to bright, red colors and enjoy drinking sweet hummingbird nectar. So, choose a hummingbird feeder that has red on it or fill your hummingbird feeder with hummingbird nectar that is colored red.
One of my favorite new hummingbird feeders is the Butterfly Perch Glass Hummingbird Feederby Exhart. This attractive hummingbird feeder has a four butterfly shaped feeding ports with a colored, transparent glass ball. It is also designed to glow in the dark, so it shimmers at night. The glass ball is may be filled with red or clear hummingbird nectar.
A fun way to light up your yard and feed the hummingbirds at the same time is by using the Solar Glass Hummingbird Stakes, which is also made by Exhart. These colorful, glass bulbs make a statement along a walkway, pathway, and patio or garden area. They are available in a pack of four assorted, vibrant colors. The birds will love to drink from them and you will enjoy the beautiful light that they provide at night.
A beautiful, cut-glass style hummingbird feeder is the Ruby Glass Hummingbird Feeder by Audubon Woodlink. It is made for vibrant, red glass that has facets to make it really stand out. It is easy to clean because it has a wider opening than other hummingbird feeders and has four flower shaped feeding ports. It is great for attracting multiple hummingbirds to your yard at one time.
Add instant charm and character to your yard with a beautiful, bejeweled bird feeder in your yard. A bejeweled bird feeder is perfect for attracting and feeding the birds. Made by Exhart, these beautiful, bejeweled bird feeders are available in a variety of vibrant, bright colors that will attract birds and delight visitors who come to your yard. Each bejeweled, bird feeder is constructed of metal wire encrusted with glass jewels that sparkle in the sun. In the center sits a clear, plastic seed tube that makes it easy to see when the bird feeder needs to be refilled. The seed tube has four ports to feed multiple birds at one time and is easy to refill. The outer wire cage helps protect the bird seed from the squirrels. Here are a few of the fun bejeweled bird feeders to choose from:
- The Bejeweled Apple Bird Feeder has a fun, apple design that is sure to get noticed in your yard. The outer shell is made of twisted wire that is painted red that surrounds beautiful red jewels. Two metal leaves and a stem on the top complete the apple design. The center seed tube holds up to 1.5 pounds of bird seed.
- The Bejeweled Orange Bird Feeder is another fruit inspired, bejewled bird feeder that looks very attractive in any yard and has great attention to detail. The orange bejeweled bird feeder has orange painted wire with orange glass jewels to attract the birds to your yard. It also has a metal leaf and stem on the top that adds a realistic touch to the bejeweled bird feeder and holds 1.5 pounds of bird seed.
- Another beautiful, bejeweled bird feeder that is sure to catch the bird’s eye is the Filigree Globe Birdfeeder with Jewels. This bejeweled bird feeder has beautiful blue jewels attached to silver wire. The globe shape looks great hanging in a tree or on a post near a patio.
Taking care of your unfinished, wooden birdhouseis not only important for the health and well being of the birds that will live in it, but also makes your unfinished, wooden birdhouse last longer. An unfinished, wooden birdhouse will need some care before you hang it outside for the birds to use. If you buy or have an unfinished, wooden birdhouse, here are some tips to follow when taking care of your unfinished, wooden birdhouse to make it safe for the birds and to help it last longer:
- Inside of the Birdhouse. It is not a good idea to paint the inside of your unfinished, wooden birdhouse. Paint can be toxic to birds and can chip and crack, which can get into the bird’s nest, food, etc. In addition, the inside texture of the wood should smooth and never sticky because it can harm the bird’s feathers and more.
- Outside of the Birdhouse. When taking care of the outside of the unfinished, wooden birdhouse, you may want to paint it or use a waterproof varnish for a more natural look. If you decide to paint it, use a non-toxic paint that is made for outdoor use and avoid using a dark paint, such as black or dark brown or blue. A dark or black paint will cause the birdhouse to heat up in the sun and make the birdhouse to hot inside for the birds. If you want your unfinished, wooden birdhouse to blend in better with nature, use earth-tone colors in a weather-resistant paint for a more natural look. When using a waterproof vanish, use a marine varnish or another type of varnish that will not become sticky under the hot sun. Give the back or sides an extra coat if the back or sides will be touching a tree or wall.
A great way to get more bird into your yard is to offer the bird fresh water on a daily basis. Birds need to drink fresh water every day and also enjoy taking a dip in the water to clean themselves. An easy way to provide the birds with fresh water on a regular base is to place or hang a birdbath in your yard. Use a birdbath that is shallow and easy for the birds to locate. The ideal birdbath should be around 12 inches or larger in diameter and have a bottom that is easy for the birds to see how shallow it is. Place your birdbath in a location that is easy for the birds to see and access. A good place to place your birdbath is away from your home and in a location where birds can easily flee if needed. Once you have placed your birdbath in a location that is best for the birds, keep it filled with fresh water on a regular basis.
One of my favorite birdbaths is the Hanging Bird Bath with Misterby Zoobox International. This birdbath has steps for the birds to wade in the water and it is easy for the birds to see how shallow the water is. It comes with a mister that runs on solar power and continually sprays a fine mist of water that birds love to bath in. It is available in a variety of colors and red is the best for attracting hummingbirds.
Another great birdbath by Zoobox International is the Multi-Level Octagonal Birdbath. This free-standing birdbath is a light color and varied tiers that make it easy for birds to see the water depth. It has the look of expensive stone, but not the weight of stone because it is made of fiberglass.
Purple Martins are the ideal guest for your backyard because they help to reduce the mosquito and insect population, which makes it easier for you and your family to enjoy spending time in the yard. Attracting these useful birds can be tricky, but once you have attracted them to your yard, it is likely that they will stay for many years to come.
It is a good idea to find out first if Purple Martins are prevailant in your area. If Purple Martins are in abundance in the area around your home, then you will probably have a better chance at attracting. In addition, Purple Martins looked for flat areas to settle in. A Purple Martin bird house near a lake or open field makes attracting them easier because they are aerial feeders and like to fly in open spaces.
A great way to attract more Purple Martins to your yard is to install a Purple Martin bird house, Plastic 12 Room Purple Martin House, near a flat area. Installing a purple martin bird house is easy and helps to attract more Purple Martins because these types of birds prefer to live in a colony. Choose an apartment-style house or Purple Martin gourds to make your yard more inviting.
If you are new to attracting Purple Martins, choose a Purple Martin house that is smaller in size or install a small grouping of Purple Martin gourds. You may also want to place a purple martin decoy by the house to initially attract purple martins. If a Purple Martin thinks a home is already occupied, he or she will be more likely to make the bird house in your yard their new home.
Once you have an established Purple Martin colony, then you can install a larger Purple Martin bird house to accommodate a growing Purple Martin colony.
Bring the southwest to your yard with a southwestern style bird feeder. These beautiful and colorful bird feeders are unique in their style and perfect for adding a touch of the southwest anywhere in your yard. Add some southwestern planters and furniture to complete the look and coordinate with the bird feeders. Below are a few southwestern style bird feeders that are sure to make a southwestern statement in your yard. Add all three southwestern bird feeders to your yard to complete the look!
- The Kokopelli Bird Feederby Woodstream has a southwestern appeal that looks great in any southwestern-style yard. This beautiful bird feeder is shaped like the sun and a transparent center for easy viewing of the bird seed. The center also features a cactus and the Kokopelli deity that are both popular figures in southwestern decor. This southwestern bird feeder can hold up to 2 1/2 pounds of bird seed.
- The warm, neutral colors of the Mesa Bird Feederby Woodstream add southwestern charm instantly to your yard. This southwestern bird feeder has a charming southwestern-style, clay roof on top with a moon, coyote and a cactus on the front and back. Each side has a golden pane with a sun design. The front and back of this bird feeder are transparent to let you have a good view of the bird seed. This bird feeder is made of both metal and plastic to last you a long time and can hold up to 5 1/2 pounds of bird seed.
- The Southwest Gecko Bird Feeder is perfect for anyone who loves southwestern decor with geckos. This charming and fun southwestern-style tube bird feeder has climbing geckos around the tube with rust and amber colors that have an antique, rustic appeal, which is perfect for a southwestern themed yard.
Surprise your mom this year for Mother’s Day with a beautiful and well-built bird house. Every mom likes to enjoy their outdoor living space and a beautiful bird house will help liven up any outdoor living space with the sights and sounds of birds. If your mom is already a bird lover and an avid bird watcher, give your mom a bird house that will attract her favorite bird to watch. If your mom is new to watching birds, choose a variety of inexpensive bird houses for her to display around the yard.
If your mom enjoys watching purple martins, the 12 Room Redwood Purple Martin House is a beautiful Mother’s Day gift. This durable purple martin house is made of long-lasting redwood that is made to withstand the weather and will look great for many years to come. Each room in this purple martin house has a little porch with a perch to make it easier for the purple martins to enter their home. It is fully assembled and only needs to be elevated on a post.
If your mom enjoys a variety of songbirds, the Bird Nest Box w/ Artwork by Marjolein Bastin are beautifully painted and designed for attracting birds. Each one of these hand-painted bird houses has a beautiful and natural looking design to add interest and charm to your yard and a large overhang helps to protect the birds and the eggs from weather and predators.
The Butterfly Retro Chic Birdhouse is a fun, decorative bird house that may be used outdoors for attracting birds or be placed indoors for a decoration. This bird house can be used to attract smaller songbirds by using the hole reducer magnet. The roof has metal sheeting to help protect the birdhouse from the elements and a beautiful butterfly design on the front.